Administrative CoordinatorOctober 7, 2021
The Administrative Coordinator is Point Blank’s central nervous system; their work underpins everything we do. They manage the workings of our Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa offices, as well as administrative and financial support duties for Point Blank as a whole.
This is not your average administrative position. As Canada’s biggest progressive agency, we have 45 staff spread out in 7 major cities, clients across Canada (and increasingly around the world), and a staff that has doubled in recent years. We are looking for someone who can prioritize their tasks and who doesn’t mind digging into financial spreadsheets and systems.
We’re a busy agency with heart – we work with the labour movement, non profits, healthcare, and environmental orgs to uphold workers’ rights, influence policy, and draw attention to economic, social and environmental issues that impact the most vulnerable; and we require a special kind of person who thrives on making things work seamlessly and can support our team to do their best work. Fear not though; the position will be well-supported by the Director of Finance and Admin, outgoing Office Manager (who is staying on in an Employee Experience role), and our EA.
WHAT YOU DO
- Reception duties, including answering and directing phone calls, emails, and general inquiries.
- Manage renewal and upkeep of company insurance policies, business licenses and certificates, mobile and internet plans, web domains, and other services and subscriptions.
- Administer the company Google Drive account.
- Manage company vendors.
- Build and maintain our electronic filing systems (and physical documentation as required).
- Create and update administrative policies and procedures. Update and maintain the Admin Manual.
- Support our EA as necessary to coordinate and book travel and accommodation for team trips across North America and beyond.
- Support the Employee Experience Manager in carrying out company events (e.g. bookings, purchasing, set up, etc.).
Manage IT Solutions
- Act as the point person for troubleshooting, tracking, and solving tech issues.
- Ensure that the internet is functioning well in all of our office locations.
- Optimize and administer the use of software and subscriptions for the company, in coordination with team leads.
- Proactively manage the quality of conference calls and video conferences (systems, mics, cameras, conference phones).
- Track and manage company owned devices and administer device use policies.
- Be the point person for any external IT consultant services.
- Check and open mail, and communicate the arrival of cheques to the Director of Finance & Admin and Shift Financial Services (our bookkeepers).
- Deposit cheques in coordination with Shift.
- Coordinate with the accounting team and Director of Finance & Admin to track, bill, and approve company expenses, including reviewing and reconciling receipts and transactions.
- Print and mail outgoing cheques.
- Manage company credit cards.
- Assist with preparing inputs for and reviewing monthly financial statements.
Office Management for Vancouver, Ottawa, and Toronto (and other locations as they open)
- Proactively think about and improve our three company work spaces (other locations work from home).
- Manage/adhere to company leases.
- Act as the liaison between Point Blank and the building landlords; deal with facility issues as they arise.
- Act as the point of contact for the alarm company; administer staff alarm codes and keys/fobs.
- Manage office/studio vendors (recycling, internet, cleaners).
- Manage subtenants in “Z Space” – a virtual reality and 3D animator studio operating out of a portion of our Vancouver space.
- Receive, sort, and deliver mail and documents.
- Order and restock office supplies.
- Assist with ordering and shipping of client and employee appreciation gifts or cards.
- Research and order special equipment/solutions (e.g. AV, IT, HVAC, telecom, etc.).
- Keep the coffee flowing and the fridge packed when staff are in-office (healthy snacks, beer, milk, and coffee beans).
- Maintain conference rooms.
- Maintain the office so that it is clean, welcoming, and professional. This includes:
- Maintaining the coffee machine and other office equipment
- Organizing regular desk clean-ups
- Making sure our cleaners are doing a good job
- Watering our plants
- Changing light bulbs
- Helping to keep the kitchen clean and tidy (our staff are actually quite good at doing their own dishes, but we have a schedule you will manage)
WHO YOU ARE
We are open to two different types of candidates:
- A relatively inexperienced, but super bright and enthusiastic person who is willing to put in the work to make up for any gaps in experience.
- An administrative professional with some experience who will bring skills, knowledge and experience to the position.
- Believe that the details matter and are comfortable working with numbers.
- Love balancing a variety of tasks.
- Are a tenacious and proactive problem solver, and enjoy learning new things.
- Are almost invariably the most organized person in the room.
- Are perceptive and proactive when it comes to the needs of others.
- Take great satisfaction in building systems that run seamlessly.
- Like harnessing the power of technology to make your work life – and that of others – more productive.
- Live in Vancouver (or near enough to work in the city.)
- Demonstrated experience using technology to manage people, projects, and/or organizations.
- Good English-language written and verbal communication skills.
- Point Blank sees immense value in hiring, training and promoting professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds. Because of this, we particularly encourage candidates from under-represented backgrounds to apply.
- Google Admin Certification; other IT background or certification.
- Experience working in other languages.
WHY WORK WITH US?
- Our entire team are campaigners who are committed to social change. We work with causes and movements we believe in – and have a fun time doing it.
- We offer paid health leave and an extended benefits package – including a health and dental plan.
- We offer flexible working arrangements using a hybrid model where staff can opt to work from home and in the office. This position would require you to work in our Vancouver office a minimum of 2-3 days per week.
- Our Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa offices are centrally located – close to transit and great places to live and eat.
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: Send us your CV and cover letter in a single document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Administrative Coordinator”. Please include your salary expectations with your application, and use your cover letter to tell us about two initiatives (ie. projects, processes) from your previous experience that match what we’re looking for.
Step 2: Submissions will be reviewed, and top applicants invited for an interview and written test. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and anticipated to be in the range of $55,000-$65,000.
Closing Date: October 20, 2021. We will be conducting rolling interviews for this position, so don’t delay submitting your application.
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2009, Point Blank Creative is a national full-service agency working to unleash the power of progressive movements by bringing together best practices in traditional advertising, digital, and community organizing. We work with movements and causes we care about, with a particular focus on the labour movement, electoral politics, health care, and issues of economic, social, and environmental justice.
We work and live on the unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinaabe and Coast Salish peoples, as well as the Coast Salish territory of the Lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen)/Songhees, Esquimalt, WSÁNEĆ Nations, including the territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Stó:lō, səl̓ílwətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) Nations; in Treaty 6 territory, the traditional meeting ground and home for many Indigenous peoples, including Plains and Woodland Cree, Assiniboine, Saulteaux, Niitsitapi (Blackfoot), Métis, and Nakota Sioux peoples; in Treaty 13, the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee and Huron-Wendat peoples, this land is also home to many diverse Indigenous, Inuit and Métis peoples.
Our work has been recognized in Canada and America. In 2018, our Game Over Christy ad was recognized as “Best TV Ad” at the Reed Awards in their “Overall” category (entries from Canada, US, and around the world). Our work has also received nine nominations for the 2020 Reed Awards. Point Blank’s founder, Nathan Lusignan, has also been recognized as one of BC’s “Top Forty Under 40” entrepreneurs.