Sales and Marketing DirectorJanuary 11, 2021
Driven by strong relationships, our collective networks, and high impact work, Point Blank has been on a strong growth trajectory for a number of years. Over the past 18 months we’ve added significant staff and clients in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Toronto. We’re now looking for someone who can help us sustain momentum and free up the Point Blank principals, Ash and Nate, to focus more on the strategic direction of our client work and the organization.
Finding the right clients and shaping those relationships is everything at Point Blank. Our partnerships with clients drive the change we want to see in the world and the sustainability of our organization—and the Sales and Marketing Director is right at the heart of this work. You’ll work closely with the PB principals, as well as our other key drivers of new partnerships across Canada. You’ll often be the one at the centre of big, ambitious discussions with creatives, strategists and project managers—and you’ll be the one pulling it all together to provide the clarity we need to pitch and land the work. You’ll also be a member of our management team where we shape the vision for the company and deal with important issues as they arise.
You’ll work closely with the leadership team, the Partnerships Coordinator and the Resourcing team to ensure that the work we’re doing is the right work, at the right time. You’ll also have the opportunity to chart the course for the company in terms of its marketing—especially online. In this work, you’ll get to pull on our amazing team of 35+ creatives and digital specialists.
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2009, Point Blank Creative is a national full-service agency working to unleash the power of progressive movements by bringing together best practices in traditional advertising, digital, and community organizing. We work with movements and causes we care about, with a particular focus on the labour movement, electoral politics, health care, and issues of economic, social, and environmental justice.
Our team is an incredible group of progressives who have all chosen to work at Point Blank for the same reason it was founded: to help progressive organizations build effective tools, winning campaigns, and game-changing movements. We’re proud to say that our 35 staff hail from 8+ countries, speak 12+ languages, and over 60% identify as women—and we have gender parity and diverse sexual identities at every level of the agency.
We work and live on the unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinaabe and Coast Salish peoples, as well as the Coast Salish territory of the Lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen)/Songhees, Esquimalt, WSÁNEĆ Nations, including the territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Stó:lō, səl̓ílwətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) Nations; in Treaty 6 territory, the traditional meeting ground and home for many Indigenous peoples, including Plains and Woodland Cree, Assiniboine, Saulteaux, Niitsitapi (Blackfoot), Métis, and Nakota Sioux peoples; in Treaty 13, the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee and Huron-Wendat peoples, this land is also home to many diverse Indigenous, Inuit and Métis peoples.
Our work has been recognized in Canada and America. In 2018, our Game Over Christy ad was recognized as “Best TV Ad” at the Reed Awards in their “Overall” category (entries from Canada, US, and around the world). Our work has also received nine nominations for the 2020 Reed Awards. Point Blank’s founder, Nathan Lusignan, has also been recognized as one of BC’s “Top Forty Under 40” entrepreneurs.
WHAT YOU DO
- Lead the development of proposals and pitches in partnership with PB project teams and lead consultants.
- Lead and manage annual and quarterly sales and marketing plans in consultation with key staff, including target setting, tracking, and reporting.
- Manage sales and marketing budget.
- Outbound sales & marketing: generate and close new leads.
- Proactively research and understand our current and prospective clients and their business cycles/needs.
- Identify suitable public bid and RFP opportunities and manage the production and delivery of proposals, RFPs and presentations.
- Proactive outreach.
- Oversee the day to day active sales, with strategic direction from Principals/Account Directors on major sales and day-to-day support from the New Partnerships Coordinator.
- Manage the company sales process according to targets set with senior management.
- Manage external client communications and coordinate with internal key team members during the sales process.
- Oversee social media and digital marketing including key events and sponsorships, social media, and thought leadership opportunities for Point Blank staff.
- Develop a marketing plan that leverages our team’s extensive creative skillset.
- Coordinate with project teams to co-promote our campaigns during launch.
- Find engaging ways of displaying our extensive work.
WHO YOU ARE
- You have a way with words and never lose sight of the big picture.
- You are a strategic thinker who can make strong connections with new and existing clients to scope, shape and close new work.
- You enjoy writing. If grant/proposal writing and/or fundraising are your thing, we want to talk to you.
- You take detailed notes and ask key questions to move conversations forward.
- You understand that the best way to build a new partnership with a client is to listen to them and figure out how to best support the work they are doing.
- You bring clarity at the end of an open ended discussion where everyone knows something positive happened, but isn’t quite sure what was agreed to or what the next steps are.
- You’re friendly and direct.
- You know when to sit back and when to lead.
- You like breaking complex things down into digestible pieces for others.
- You get a little thrill from knowing that the proposal or RFP you submitted was “just right”.
- You’re a proactive and confident “connector” who can create opportunities and turn ideas into an executable plan.
- You’re a strategic thinker who never loses sight of the big picture.
- You enjoy face-to-face connection and have the ability to create trusting relationships.
- Professional, organized and accountable.
- 3-5 years experience in B2B sales or grant writing/fundraising
- Proven proposal/pitch writing chops
- Experience working with a CRM and/or Project Management software
- Digital and social marketing skills and/or experience
- High attention to detail
- Preference for candidates based in Toronto, Vancouver or Ottawa but also open to Calgary, Edmonton, or Montreal
- This position requires some travel and non-standard work hours as needed to complete the required responsibilities
- Point Blank sees immense value in hiring, training and promoting professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds. Because of this, we particularly encourage candidates from under-represented backgrounds to apply.
- Agency experience.
- Professional fluency in French.
- Experience working in the tech, advertising, labour or political campaigns sectors.
Why work with us?
- Our entire team are campaigners who are committed to social change. We work with causes and movements we believe in—and we have a great time doing it.
- We offer a great benefits package—including a health and dental plan.
- Our Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa offices are centrally located—close to transit and great places to live and eat.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and anticipated to be in the range of $80,000-95,000.
Step 1: Send your CV and cover letter in a single document to email@example.com with the subject line “Sales and Marketing Director”. Please include your salary expectations with the application.
Step 2: Submissions will be reviewed, and top applicants invited for an interview. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: Apply now. We will be conducting rolling interviews for this position.