Web DeveloperNovember 4, 2021
Point Blank is seeking an experienced Web Developer with strong attention to detail, an eye for design, and a passion for delivering impactful web products that help our clients win their campaigns. You will be responsible for the translation of UI/UX design wireframes to actual code–bringing action pages, digital organizing hubs and organizational websites to life. You have experience integrating best-in-class campaign tools, and implementing analytics and event/conversion tracking codes. You’re familiar with QA best practices, you’re an expert bug squisher, and you proactively spot and remediate issues before anyone else notices. You’re passionate about the campaigns and causes we support–the most powerful progressive organizations and movements across Canada.
You will work collaboratively with Project Managers, the Chief Strategy Officer and our growing Digital Organizing team. As our only in-house Web Developer, there are times you will be expected to work quickly and independently to meet tight deadlines while following design guidelines. This position reports to the Chief Strategy Officer (subject to change) and can be based anywhere in Canada.
Point Blank is committed to equitable hiring, development, and promotion with recognition that equity-seeking candidates continue to face systemic barriers to employment. We see immense value in hiring, training and promoting professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds. Because of this, we particularly encourage candidates from equity-seeking and under-represented backgrounds to apply.
WHAT YOU DO
- Build front-end web products using semantically correct HTML5 + CSS, JS, PHP
- Ensure behind-the-scenes code always works using QA checklists, tests and spot checks
- Integrate third-party tools via plugins and at the code-level, while ensuring integrated/embedded tools are secure and complaint
- Ensure web products are mobile responsive and compatible with supported browsers
- Prepare web products for high traffic by planning in advance
- Ensuring accessibility compliance as per AODA/WCAG standards
- Optimize meta data for SEO and social sharing (OpenGraph, Twitter Card)
- Configure domains and hosting, and implement Google Tag Manager, Google Analytics, Search Console & Facebook Pixels
- Write clean, commented code that can be maintained by clients or other devs
- Write simple, readable documentation for the code you maintain
- Proactively identify potential issues with tech ecosystem and provide solutions
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience writing:
- clean, responsive mobile-first CSS
- minimalist HTML
- PHP functions
- Experience using:
- Agile methodology
- Jira or a comparable alternative
- Adobe XD or comparable alternative
- Experience debugging:
- BugHerd or a comparable alternative
- Experience implementing:
- Pixel perfect web mocks
- Third-party plugins and tools
- Accessibility tools and testing software
- WordPress, Drupal
- GTM, GA
NICE TO HAVES
- Adobe Creative Suite tools
- Optimizely, Google Optimize, A/B testing
- NationBuilder, Action Network, New/Mode, Zapier
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Detail-oriented with good time management skills
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to multi-task / change task on short notice
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Knowledge of progressive campaigns, the labour movement and/or cause based campaigns in Canada
- Experience working on digital organizing web products/projects
- Familiarity with scrum and other development management principles
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2009, Point Blank Creative is a national full-service agency working to unleash the power of progressive movements by bringing together best practices in traditional advertising, digital, and community organizing. We work with movements and causes we care about, with a particular focus on the labour movement, electoral politics, health care, and issues of economic, social, and environmental justice.
We work and live on the unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinaabe and Coast Salish peoples, as well as the Coast Salish territory of the Lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen)/Songhees, Esquimalt, WSÁNEĆ Nations, including the territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Stó:lō, səl̓ílwətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) Nations; in Treaty 6 territory, the traditional meeting ground and home for many Indigenous peoples, including Plains and Woodland Cree, Assiniboine, Saulteaux, Niitsitapi (Blackfoot), Métis, and Nakota Sioux peoples; in Treaty 13, the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee and Huron-Wendat peoples, this land is also home to many diverse Indigenous, Inuit and Métis peoples.
Our work has been recognized in Canada and America. In 2018, our Game Over Christy ad was recognized as “Best TV Ad” at the Reed Awards in their “Overall” category (entries from Canada, US, and around the world). Our work has also received nine nominations for the 2020 Reed Awards. Point Blank’s founder, Nathan Lusignan, has also been recognized as one of BC’s “Top Forty Under 40” entrepreneurs.
WHY WORK WITH US?
- Our entire team are campaigners who are committed to social change. We work with causes and movements we believe in – and have a fun time doing it.
- We offer paid health leave and an extended benefits package – including a health and dental plan.
- We offer flexible working arrangements using a hybrid model where staff can opt to work from home and in the office.
- Our Vancouver and Ottawa offices are centrally located – close to transit and great places to live and eat. We have a Toronto office opening soon!
Salary is commensurate with experience, and anticipated to be in the range of $60,000 to $70,000.
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: Send us your CV and cover letter in a single document to email@example.com with the subject line “Web Developer”. Please include your salary expectations with your application.
Step 2: Submissions will be reviewed, and top applicants invited for an interview. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: Open until filled. We are looking to hire immediately and will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis.