Creative Director – Full Time 6 Month ContractMay 23, 2023
We are looking for a seasoned Creative Director with a background in copywriting who believes strong ideas and undeniable creativity can do more than just sell shoes and cheeseburgers. If you’re passionate about pushing creative boundaries, but are tired of working for big evil corporations, you might just fit in here.
WHO WE ARE
Point Blank Creative exists to unleash the power of progressive movements.
We are Canada’s largest progressive agency and specialize in bringing together the very best in digital, and community organizing, traditional advertising, and groundbreaking creative. We work with movements and causes we care about, with a particular focus on the labour movement, electoral politics, health care, and issues of economic, social, and environmental justice.
We live our values. Every one of Point Blank’s 50+ staff members is here for the same reason: to help progressive organizations build effective tools, and win campaigns.
We’re proud to say that our 50+ staff hail from 8+ countries, speak 6+ languages, 64% are women, non-binary or gender non-conforming —and we have BIPOC & 2SLGBTQIA+ at every level of the agency.
We work and live on the unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinaabe and Coast Salish peoples, as well as the Coast Salish territory of the Lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen)/Songhees, Esquimalt, WSÁNEĆ Nations, including the territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Stó:lō, səl̓ílwətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) Nations; in Treaty 6 territory, the traditional meeting ground and home for many Indigenous peoples, including Plains and Woodland Cree, Assiniboine, Saulteaux, Niitsitapi (Blackfoot), Métis, and Nakota Sioux peoples; in Treaty 13, the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee and Huron-Wendat peoples, this land is also home to many diverse Indigenous, Inuit and Métis peoples.
Reporting to the Executive Creative Director, your primary focus will be serving as Creative Director across multiple campaigns, guiding the creative team through concept generation, pitching and production, making final decisions on key creative questions, and ensuring the execution of every piece of campaign media is as sharp and impactful as possible.
As a member of Point Blank’s management team, Point Blank’s copywriters will report directly to you, you’ll work with other managers across departments to help improve processes for our team and drive innovative creative solutions for our clients.
Point Blank is committed to equitable hiring, development, and promotion with recognition that equity-seeking candidates continue to face systemic barriers to employment. We see immense value in hiring, training and promoting professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds. Because of this, we particularly encourage candidates from equity-seeking and under-represented backgrounds to apply.
WHAT YOU DO
- Creative direction on multiple projects at a time
- Present and sell through the most effective creative solution to clients
- Management and accountability of the Writing team and Writing contractors
- Coaching and inspiring creative teams to produce best-in-class, award-worthy campaigns
- Providing mentorship, and identifying growth opportunities for the copywriting team
- Consistently seeking out and sharing innovative and inspirational advertising
- Collaborating with the Campaigns Team to develop creative strategy and briefs
WHO YOU ARE
- You are an experienced Creative Director with a copywriting background and 8+ years of agency experience.
- You enjoy pitching and creating under pressure.
- You use creativity to establish new perspectives, and deliver innovative solutions.
- You’re a collaborative and empathetic leader who can coach, motivate and develop your team.
- You are adaptable and open-minded. You build and respect processes without being bound by them.
- A passion for using your creativity to make lasting positive impacts for people in your community and across Canada.
- A robust portfolio demonstrating strong creative thinking and a wide array of different media.
- A proven track record of delivering projects on time and on budget.
- Experience leading creative teams and projects from start to finish with little or no oversight.
- To apply for this role you must be based in Canada and be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- This position requires some travel and in-person work with clients. The individual must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19
- This position requires some non-standard work hours to complete the required responsibilities.
- Experience working on campaigns focused on labour, politics, or economic/social/environmental justice.
- Experience working in a unionized environment
- Professional fluency in French or other languages.
Why work with us?
- We exclusively work with causes and movements we believe in—and we have a great time doing it.
- We offer paid health leave and an extended benefits package—including a health and dental plan.
- We offer flexible, hybrid working arrangements. While some in office work is required for this position, you may elect to work from home at other times.
- Our Vancouver and Toronto offices are centrally located close to transit.
Salary is commensurate with experience and expected to be in the range of $95,233-$105,815.
Step 1: Apply here
Step 2: Submissions will be reviewed, and top applicants invited for an interview. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: June 2 2023. Don’t delay your application! We are looking to hire immediately and will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis.
Please note, this position will require in person work. The successful candidate must be willing to comply with Point Blank’s Communicable Disease Prevention Policy, which includes a requirement to adhere to any active public health mandates.
Point Blank is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation at any point during this process, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to jointly address your needs.